The New England Patriots and the New York Jets wrap up their 2019-20 division series rather early on in the season. The first matchup, which came in Week 3, resulted in a 30-14 victory for the Pats. Luke Falk was the quarterback for the Jets at that time, but even after their first win of the season with Sam Darnold back in action, we still shouldn’t expect an upset. Instead, we’ll likely return to the weekly Monday night blowouts that had happened before last week’s Lions/Packers battle.
So, if we’re expecting a Patriots win, the question is will they cover the 9.5-point spread? Last season, Tom Brady and his crew came into MetLife Stadium and beat the Jets by 14 points, but we’d have to go back to 2012 (six games prior) to find an instance where the Patriots would’ve covered a 9.5-point spread at New York. After watching Darnold defeat Dallas, it’s clear that the Jets are in a much better spot than they were a few weeks ago. Will Le’Veon Bell, Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder be enough weapons for the Jets to not lose by double digits? Short answer: no.
While the league’s best defense shouldn’t have any issues limiting New York’s offense, New England’s offense will need to slightly adjust without Josh Gordon if he sits this one out. We’ve always seen the “next man up” mentality from the Patriots, but what’s more likely to happen is Brady will continue to favor his No. 1 guy, Julian Edelman, who has reeled in 8+ receptions for 110+ yards over the last two games. It’s worth noting that Brandon Bolden has scored a touchdown in the Pats’ last three games, so if you’re expecting this one to get away from the Jets, it wouldn’t be the craziest thing to think Bolden will continue to see the field.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Patriots at Jets
Point Spread: Jets +9.5
Total Points: 44
Money Line: Patriots -385; Jets +325
Overall: Patriots 6-0; Jets 1-4
ATS: Patriots 4-2; Jets 2-3
O/U: Patriots 2-4; Jets 2-3
- The Patriots have won each of their last 11 games.
- The Patriots have covered the spread in each of their last six night games.
- Six of the last seven games between the Patriots and Jets have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Sony Michel has scored the first touchdown in five of the Patriots’ last nine games.
- James White has scored a touchdown in each of the Patriots’ last four regular season night road games.
- Julian Edelman has scored a touchdown in each of the Patriots’ last three games against the Jets.
- Brandon Bolden has scored a touchdown in each of the Patriots’ last three games.
- Robby Anderson has scored a touchdown in three of the Jets’ last four night games at MetLife Stadium.
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for actual odds.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
*21+. NJ/IN only. Eligibility restrictions apply. See website for details.