The Tennessee Titans visit the Carolina Panthers this week, and it should be considered a must-win for both teams. The Panthers were crushed in San Francisco last week, losing 51-13 to the unbeaten 49ers, while the Titans picked up their second win in a row against the Bucs. Both teams have to keep generating wins in order to fight for a playoff berth. All that means from a betting perspective is that we can expect each coaching staff to bring their best play-calling skills, so this could be a low-scoring game. Hence the 42.5 point total.
Life has been better for the Titans and the Panthers since switching to their backup quarterbacks. Ryan Tannehill (DFS salary $5,300) has thrown five touchdowns in two starting wins. Kyle Allen ($5,200) only just threw his first interception (granted, he threw three) last week against San Francisco and has led the Panthers to four wins in his five starts. It will be a challenging matchup for both QBs as the defenses are each ranked in the top five for interceptions.
Tannehill has been making due without any extraordinary talents, tossing TDs to A.J. Brown ($4,400), Corey Davis ($4,600), Jonnu Smith ($3,800) and Tajae Sharpe ($3,500), while Allen has had the benefit of playing alongside Christian McCaffrey ($10,000 and most expensive player). Week 2 against the Bucs was the only instance where CMC didn’t reach the endzone. He’s seeing a ridiculously high amount of usage, with no less than 14 carries and four targets in any game this season. Although the Titans’ defense has only allowed three touchdowns on the ground, that shouldn’t matter much to McCaffrey. His involvement in the game plan makes him matchup-proof, and it would be a surprise if we did NOT see him score in any given week.
This will be Kyle Allen’s second time playing at home this season, previously beating the Jaguars 34-27. Meanwhile, it will be Tannehill’s first start on the road. If he and the Titans can pull off a victory here, then we should start taking them seriously. I’m not ready to do that just yet, though. Give me the Panthers to cover the spread.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Titans at Panthers
Point Spread: Titans +3.5
Total Points: 42.5
Money Line: Titans +163; Panthers -186
Overall: Titans 4-4; Panthers 4-3
ATS: Titans 3-4-1; Panthers 4-3
O/U: Titans 3-5; Panthers 5-2
Notable Prop Bets
- Ryan Tannehill under 19.5 completions: +100
- Derrick Henry over 17.5 rush attempts: -124
- Christian McCaffrey to score 2+ TDs: +170
- Kyle Allen over 1.5 passing TDs: +124
- The Panthers have won each of their last eight games against AFC South opponents.
- The Panthers have covered the spread in 13 of their last 14 day games at Bank of America Stadium following a road loss.
- Seven of the Panthers’ last eight day games at Bank of America Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
- Christian McCaffrey has scored the first touchdown in each of the Panthers’ last four games against AFC opponents.
- Curtis Samuel has scored at least one touchdown in three of the Panthers’ last four Sunday games as home favorites.
- Derrick Henry has scored at least one touchdown in nine of the Titans’ last 13 games.
- Greg Olsen has scored a touchdown in each of his last three Week 9 appearances.
- Adam Humphries has scored at least one touchdown in each of his last two appearances against the Panthers.
- Christian McCaffrey has scored two or more touchdowns in five of the Panthers’ last six Sunday home games.
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for actual odds.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
*21+. NJ/IN only. Eligibility restrictions apply. See website for details.