The best thing that can be said about Sunday’s Jets-Bengals matchup is that it is at 1:00 PM Est, so there are plenty of other games on to watch instead. The winless Bengals are already eliminated from playoff contention. Technically, the Jets are not yet mathematically eliminated from Wild Card contention, but they are two games behind a four-way tie and lose almost every potential tiebreaker (they would win a two-team tie with the Raiders; they would lose any three-team tie, even if the Raiders were one of the other teams). The players and coaches in this game are playing for their jobs, not for the 2019 postseason.
Put your knowledge to the test. Sign up for DraftKings and experience the game inside the game.
The Bengals are bringing Andy Dalton back in to start at QB, apparently deciding that three games of Ryan Finley was enough to determine that he was not their long-term answer. Before getting benched, Dalton had been on pace to set career highs in pass attempts, completions and passing yards. With Dalton back and WR Auden Tate emerging as a quality option opposite Tyler Boyd, the Bengals could make some noise against the Jets’ below-average passing attack. If not, this unfortunate matchup could get even uglier, as the Jets’ run defense is quietly one of the best units in the league.
This will be the fifth bad defense the Jets have faced in as many weeks, and their offense has appropriately risen to the “challenge”. Against the Dolphins, Giants, Washington and the Raiders, Sam Darnold is averaging 274 yards, 2.0 TDs and a 66% completion rate, and the Jets have averaged 30 points per week. The Bengals’ defense is as bad as, or worse than, all of those other four teams, so the Jets’ run of good offensive outings may continue for one more week.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Jets at Bengals
Point Spread: Bengals +3
Total Points: 42
Money Line: Bengals +140; Jets -159
Overall: Jets 4-7; Bengals 0-11
ATS: Jets 5-6; Bengals 4-7
O/U: Jets 6-5; Bengals 3-8
- Jets’ WR Demaryius Thomas (hamstring) is questionable after being limited in practice all week.
- Bengals’ WR A.J. Green (ankle) is out.
- Bengals’ TE Drew Sample (ankle) is out.
- Bengals’ TE Cethan Carter (concussion) is out.
Notable Prop Bets
Parlay Jets point spread and over +245; Sam Darnold to throw over 240.5 passing yards -112
Auden Tate to score +250; Total yards of longest touchdown (either team) over 37.5 -115
- The Bengals have lost each of their last 13 games.
- The Bengals have failed to cover the spread in 10 of their last 11 home games.
- Four of the Jets’ last five games have gone over the total points line.
- Sam Darnold has scored the first touchdown in two of the Jets’ last three games.
- Jamison Crowder has scored a touchdown in three of the Jets’ last four games.
- Joe Mixon has scored a touchdown in each of the Bengals’ last three games against AFC East opponents.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ) or 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN)
21+. NJ/PA/IN Only. Eligibility restrictions apply.
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for details.