For a good portion of the NFL season, the AFC South seemed like the one division in the conference that didn’t have a team that could be a serious threat in the playoffs. But after getting two wins in a row, first against the Colts and then against the Patriots, the Texans have proven themselves worthy of being feared. The memory of the blowout by Baltimore has faded. Now, Houston looks to solidify its claim on the division with a matchup against the rather non-threatening Broncos.
You could make an argument that Denver will stand its ground after edging out a victory over the Chargers last week. The third quarterback, Drew Lock (DFS salary $5,100), made his NFL debut and threw more touchdowns (2) than interceptions. Courtland Sutton ($6,400) seems to be quarterback-proof as he continued his impressive season with a 4-74-2 stat line. Considering Houston’s less-than-impressive pass defense (allowing the fifth-most yards per game), Drew could potentially “lock” on to Sutton.
While that all sounds great, it’s pretty clear that the Texans have the upper hand here. It would be surprising to see a Texans victory of less than two possessions. Deshaun Watson ($6,500) is tied for the fourth-most passing touchdowns in the league, hitting his stride at the perfect time with two multi-TD games in a row. This offense should be able to navigate Denver’s decently strong defense. I’ll take Houston to cover.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Broncos at Texans
Point Spread: Broncos +9
Total Points: 42
Money Line: Broncos +310; Texans -375
Overall 2019: Broncos 4-8; Texans 8-4
ATS 2019: Broncos 7-5; Texans 6-6
O/U 2019: Broncos 5-7; Texans 5-7
- Out: G Ronald Leary (concussion)
- Questionable: T Ja’Wuan James (knee), LB Von Miller (knee), LB Malik Reed (ankle, shoulder)
- Out: RB Taiwan Jones (hamstring)
- Questionable: CB Gareon Conley (hip), WR Will Fuller (hamstring), CB Bradley Roby (hamstring, toe), LB Brennan Scarlett (shoulder), DE Carlos Watkins (hamstring)
Notable Prop Bets
Texans team total over 25.5 -118
Texans moneyline and over +133
Texans -5.5 1H -121
- The Broncos have lost seven of their last eight road games.
- The Broncos have covered the spread in six of their last seven day games.
- Each of the Broncos’ last eight road games against AFC opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Deshaun Watson has scored at least one touchdown in each of the Texans’ last three games in December.
- Darren Fells has scored at least one touchdown in three of the Texans’ last four home games.
- Duke Johnson Jr. has scored a touchdown in three of the Texans’ last four Sunday games.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ) or 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN)
21+. NJ/PA/IN Only. Eligibility restrictions apply.
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for details.