The New York Jets are in firm control of the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft heading into the season’s home stretch. However, they do have the Jacksonville Jaguars nipping at their heels for the top spot. The Dolphins are favored by a touchdown over the Jets in Week 12, while the Jaguars may have a decent shot at a win as one-point dogs. Anything can happen, but the Jets really don’t have another winnable game on the schedule this season. That makes it hard for another team to claim the top spot.
The Bengals are going to struggle without Joe Burrow for the rest of the season, so if the Jags are able to put together another win or two, it could push Cincy into the second spot.
This week, we’ve cut down our draft order list to include the top eight spots in the draft order, i.e. all the teams with just two wins or less. After individual records, strength of schedule is the first tiebreaker for teams and is in parenthesis after each team’s record. Hat tip to Tankathon for providing that. Each team’s Week 12 opponent is listed as well.
- New York Jets: 0-10 (SOS: .588) — vs. Dolphins
- Jacksonville Jaguars: 1-9 (.555) — vs. Browns
- Cincinnati Bengals: 2-7-1 (.537) — vs. Giants
- Dallas Cowboys: 3-8 (.478) — lost to Washington
- Los Angeles Chargers: 3-7 (.497) — @ Bills
- New York Giants: 3-7 (.500) — @ Browns
- Atlanta Falcons: 3-7 (.542) — vs. Raiders
- Philadelphia Eagles: 3-7-1 (.515) — vs. Seahawks
Competition for the fourth through eighth spots is a little tighter thanks to all the three-win teams. Dallas might be playing its way down the draft order with Andy Dalton back in the lineup.
The wildest part about all the NFC East teams on this list is they could just as easily be in contention for a division title as they are a top-10 pick.