The College Football Playoff rankings reveal will be released on ESPN every Tuesday night in November leading up to the final selection day on Sunday, December 5th. The selection committee will release a top 25 each week to determine who will advance to the national semifinals.
According to the College Football Playoff’s official website, the committee evaluates teams using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.
In addition to choosing the top four CFP teams, the committee assigns teams to the New Year’s Six bowl games with criteria that includes creating competitive matchups, attempting to avoid rematches of regular season games and repeat appearances in specific bowls and considering geography.
The committee is made up of 13 individuals, and it is led by Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta, who is in his second year as the chair of the group. The full selection committee is as follows:
- Gary Barta - Iowa AD
- Mitch Barnhart - Kentucky AD
- Paola Boivin - Arizona State professor
- Tom Burman - Wyoming AD
- Charlie Cobb - Georgia State AD
- Boo Corrigan - NC State AD
- Rich George - Colorado AD
- Will Shields - former Nebraska offensive lineman
- Gene Taylor - Kansas State AD
- Joe Taylor - VCU VP for Athletics and Community Wellness
- John Urschel - former Penn State offensive lineman
- Rod West - Entergy Corporation group president
- Tyrone Willingham - former Stanford, Notre Dame, Washington head coach