Why would a little thing like a failed doping test from a trainer that’s been popped five times in the last year from getting to race for the Triple Crown?
That’s at least the opinion of Bob Baffert and his legal counsel Craig Roberston, who told the Daily Racing Form that he will file a temporary restraining order if Pimlico doesn’t allow the current Kentucky Derby winner a chance to race in Saturday’s Preakness Stakes.
Robertson said that he has not yet had discussions with Pimlico’s management but would be “reaching out to them” on Monday to discuss the thorny legal issues surrounding a potential ban of the horse from the race. In any case, Robertson said, a motion for a TRO will be filed if Pimlico decides to deny the entry.
“Hopefully they reach a decision that is one we can live with,” Robertson said. “If not, we will go to court and we will seek a TRO.”
The Preakness draw was originally scheduled for Monday, but that was pushed back until Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. because of the controversy around the horse that won the Run for the Roses, but subsequently failed a drug test that is putting the results of that race in jeopardy.
Baffert has a long history of both winning races and having his barn allegedly filled with more drugs than Lance Armstrong’s hotel room in Paris. This morning on Fox News he blamed “cancel culture” for the fact Medina Spirit was caught with 21 picograms of betamethasone after the race, double Kentucky’s legal limit. The rules of Kentucky racing also say the steroid should be completely cleared the horse’s system when he entered the starting gate.
What’s going to happen tomorrow with Pimlico? Who knows. But it would seem a private business such as 1/ST, the owner of the track, would be able to ban or suspend any horse they wish.
We’ll bring you news of the decision of the authorities in Maryland regarding Baffert and Medina Spirit in the Run for the Black-Eyed Susans as soon as one is made.