The draw is complete for the middle jewel of the 2021 Triple Crown. The 146th running of the Preakness Stakes will feature Ram in the post position, and Concert Tour on the outside in the 10th position.
Kentucky Derby winning Medina Spirit drew the third stall for the race. The Bob Baffert-trained horse tested positive for an illegal level of a steroid in a post-race drug test. This is not the first time a Baffert horse has tested positive for doping, and it’s no surprise Baffert has several excuses at hand. He initially blamed it on “cancel culture” during an interview on FOX News. He later blamed a groom peeing in hay, and then said there was a substance Medina Spirit took that happened to have some of the substance.
Though the draw wasn’t favorable, the other Baffert horse in the race Concert Tour checks in as the second-favorite at 9-5 from Pimlico oddsmaker Keith Fuestle. Tour made the board in April at the Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park, another track Baffert has been suspended from in the past.
The post draw was scheduled for Monday, but it was moved back a day during the hubbub around the Baffert doping news. The long-time trainer was set to file a temporary restraining order to allow the horse to race this Saturday.
2021 Preakness Stakes post positions with morning line
1. Ram — Ricardo Santana, Jr. 30-1
2. Keepmeinmind — David Cohen 15-1
3. Medina Spirit — John Velazquez 9-5
4. Crowded Trade — Javier Castellano 10-1
5. Midnight Bourbon — Irado Ortiz, Jr. 5-1
6. Wrong Bower — Flavien Prat 12-1
7. France Go De Ina — Joel Rosario 20-1
8. Unbridled Honor — Luis Saez 15-1
9. Risk Taking — Jose Ortiz 15-1
10. Concert Tour — Mike Smith 5-2