Netherlands are the clear favorite to capture Group C, but the Dutch have not had much continental success lately. After getting bounced in the group stage in 2012, the Netherlands didn’t qualify for the 2016 Euro competition. This squad will be looking to make amends for recent failures. Ukraine and Austria will be competing for second place in the group. Both units have experience, but Ukraine was the most dynamic team in qualifying and provides good value to finish in the top 2. North Macedonia is a mystery for most and will likely stay that way.
Netherlands is -190 to win the group according to DraftKings Sportsbook. Ukraine (-124) has edged ahead of Austria (-106) as a favorite to finish second. North Macedonia is the longshot here at +850.
Here are the standings and upcoming schedule for Group C.
Group C standings
- Netherlands, 3-0-0, 9 points (clinched first place and knockout stage berth)
- Austria, 2-0-1, 6 points (clinched knockout stage berth)
- Ukraine, 1-0-2, 3 points
- North Macedonia, 0-0-3, 0 points
Group C schedule (all times ET)
Austria 3, North Macedonia 1
- Michael Gregoritsch scored a goal from the center of the box in the 78th minute to secure an opening group win for Austria. Marko Arnautovic added insurance in the 89th minute assisted with a cross. Austria and North Macedonia scored a pair of goals in the 18th and 28th minutes of the match, respectively. Stefan Lainer scored the opener for Austria and Goran Pandev added an equalizer for North Macedonia.
Netherlands 3, Ukraine 2
- A flurry of second half scoring led to a wild Dutch win. Georginio Wijnaldum and Wout Weghorst scored in the 52nd and 58th minutes to give the Netherlands a 2-0 lead. Andriy Yarmolenko and Roman Yaremchuk responded with goals in the 75th and 79th to tie up the match. Denzel Dumfries won it for the Dutch with a goal in the 85th minute.
Ukraine 2, North Macedonia 1
- Andriy Yarmolenko and Roman Yaremchuk scored in the 29th and 34th minute, respectively to secure three points for Ukraine. Ezgjan Alioski added a goal off a missed penalty in the 57th minute, but North Macedonia could not find the net again.
Netherlands 2, Austria 0
- Memphis Depay converted a penalty shot in the 11th minute and Denzel Dumfries added a second goal in the 67th minute to secure the win. The Dutch clinched first place in Group C with the win.
Netherlands 3, North Macedonia 0
- The Dutch dominated, controlling possession 59-41. Memphis Depay got the Netherlands on the board in the 24th minute and then Georginio Wijnaldum added goals in the 51st and 58th minute to put this one away.
Austria 1, Ukraine 0
- Christoph Baumgartner scored in the 21st minute and that was all they needed as Ukraine could never find the net. Austria clinched second place and a spot in the knockout stage with the win.