The 2021 Gold Cup kicks off Saturday with Group A action. Favorites Mexico will take on Trinidad & Tobago in the opener, while El Salvador meets Curacao. Mexico is the favorite to win the group and also the top pick to lift the Cup at +100, according to DraftKings Sportsbook. Here’s how the group is playing out.
UPDATE: Curacao had to withdraw from the tournament due to a COVID-19 outbreak. Guatemala is the replacement.
Group A Standings
Mexico, 2-1-0, 7 point
El Salvador, 2-0-1, 6 points
Trinidad & Tobago, 0-2-1, 2 points
Guatemala, 0-1-2, 1 point
Group A Schedule
Mexico 0, Trinidad & Tobago 0
- Mexico dominated possession and the attack, controlling possession 82.5% of the match and holding a 30-4 advantage in shots. Mexico got 7 of those shots on goal while Trinidad & Tobago could never get an official shot on goal. And yet, it was all for naught. Mexico had a 91st minute goal disallowed due to offsides and had to settle for a single point in the draw.
El Salvador 2, Guatemala 0
- El Salvador controlled possession 69%-31% for the match, but struggled until the back end of the second half to get on the board. Alex Roldan scored a goal in the 81st minute and Joaquin Rivas added a second in stoppage time to secure the win.
El Salvador 2, Trinidad & Tobago 0
- El Salvador dominated offensively, putting up 19 shots and getting eight on target. The win puts El Salvador at the top of Group A and into the quarterfinal round of the Gold Cup. Trinidad & Tobago is still alive for the knockout round, but needs other results to break its way.
Mexico 3, Guatemala 0
- Mexico dominated the match, controlling possession for 70% of the night. They got on the board with a Rogelio Funes Mori goal in the 29th minute. Mori added another goal in the 55th minute and Orbelín Pineda added one more in the 79th minute.
Mexico 1, El Salvador 0
- Luis Rodríguez scored the lone goal of the match in the 26th minute as El Tri did just enough to win the group.
Guatemala 1, Trinidad & Tobago 1
- Reon Moore scored a goal in the 12th minute for Trinidad and Gerardo Gordillo equalized in the 77th minute.