Group B action in the 2021 Gold Cup begins Sunday when Canada faces Martinique and United States meets Haiti. The Americans are heavily favored to win the group and are second-favorites to win the Cup at +175, according to DraftKings Sportsbook. Here’s how the group is playing out.
Group B Standings
United States, 3-0-0, 9 points
Canada, 2-0-1, 6 points
Haiti, 1-0-2, 3 points
Martinique, 0-0-2, 0 points
Group B Schedule
Canada 4, Martinique 1
- Canada exploded in the opening match of Group B, netting four goals against Martinique. The Canadians had three goals through 26 minutes in this one.
United States 1, Haiti 0
- The favorites to win the group started off with a 1-0 victory courtesy of Sam Vines’ goal in the eighth minute. This US team doesn’t have the heavyweights many would expect, but still has enough talent to win the Cup. The Americans looked solid in defense and should improve in attack as the players get familiar with each other.
Canada 4, Haiti 1
- Canada controlled possession and dominated once again with four more goals. Canada only managed one first half goal this time around, but remained aggressive in the second half. With the win, Canada secured a spot in the knockout stage.
United States 6, Martinique 1
- After a less than stellar win over Haiti, the USMNT dominated Martinique to clinch a spot in the knockout stage. The US scored a goal and benefited from an own goal to take a 2-0 first half lead. The team then scored four more in the second half, including a response to Martinique’s lone goal. Daryl Dike led the way with two goals for the US.
United States 1, Canada 0
- Shaq Moore scored the fastest goal in Gold Cup history, giving the US a 1-0 lead at the 20 second mark of the match. Canada controlled possession 55% of the match and had 14 total shots with three on goal. The US only managed one shot on goal out of six total shots, but was able to hold off Canada to win Group B. Canada finished in second and advances to the knockout stage.
Haiti 2, Martinique 1
- Ricardo Adé scored the game-winner for Haiti in the 61st minute in between a pair of Martinique red cards. Haiti finished the tournament in third place in Group B.