Money in the Bank is an annual staple on the WWE pay-per-view calendar and with fans set to fill Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, TX, on Sunday, the energy will create an environment viewers at home will not want to miss.
The two MITB ladder matches this year are chalk full of possibilities as the buildup to the show on both Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown haven’t so much as teased a clear favorite to win the match. Both matches feature a mix of former winners and first-time participants trying to climb the ladder, so we’ll see who exactly will be positioned for a future title match moving forward.
On the championship fronts, WWE Champion Bobby Lashley has dominated as the top dog on Raw for the past five months but will receive a stiff challenge from former champ Kofi Kingston. Kingston defeated Lashley in a non-title match back in May and pointed out that he never received another opportunity for the title since losing the belt to Brock Lesnar back in October of 2019. Lashley, along with manager MVP, have traded barbs with Kingston and New Day tag team partner Xavier Woods for the past month, with Woods himself defeating Lashley in one-on-one competition.
Also on the red brand, Raw Women’s Champion Rhea Ripley will once again put her belt on the line against the omnipresent Charlotte Flair. It seems like this will the end of the line for this rivalry but the possibility is there for them to extend it to SummerSlam. Also as a very late addition to the show, Raw Tag Team Champions AJ Styles and Omos will put their belts on the line against the Viking Raiders. AJ and Omos have sporadically been in action since winning the titles at Wrestlemania, so we’ll see how they fare in this showcase match.
On Smackdown, WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns has had his hands full with WWE Hall of Famer Edge for the past month and the two will go toe-to-toe for the belt at MITB. Edge, who previously earned a title opportunity at Wrestlemania after winning the Royal Rumble, never got a one-on-one shot at Roman for the title. On top of potential involvement by the Usos and the Mysterios, keep on high alert for maybe a surprise appearance by John Cena. The rumor mill is swirling that it’ll be Roman-Cena for the championship at Summerslam in Las Vegas and they could potentially begin the build to that match on Sunday.
2021 Money in the Bank full card
- Men’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Ricochet vs. John Morrison vs. Riddle vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Big E vs. Kevin Owens vs. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins
- Women’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Asuka vs. Naomi vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Nikki A.S.H. vs. Liv Morgan vs. Zelina Vega vs. Natalya vs. Tamina
- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Kofi Kingston: Singles match for WWE Championship
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Edge: Singles match for WWE Universal Championship
- Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair: Singles match for Raw Women’s Championship
- AJ Styles and Omos (c) vs. The Viking Raiders: Raw Tag Team Championship match