The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz welcomes in University of Miami head coach Jim Larrañaga to talk some college hoops!
Dan asks Larrañaga how it feels to be nearing a conference championship, with blue bloods like Duke and North Carolina looking up in the standings at his Hurricanes. Larrañaga points out that UNC was No. 1 in the preseason AP Top 25 and UNC and Duke were picked to finish 1-2 in the ACC, so he says if you said it would be his Hurricanes playing Pitt for the regular season title at the end of the season most people would have taken that action.
“I’m real proud of these guys and the job they’ve done all season long and it should be a very exciting game this Saturday.” - @CanesCoachL— Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz (@LeBatardShow) February 27, 2023
Miami vs Pitt this Saturday at 6pm for all of the ACC marbles
Larrañaga, in talking about his school’s rivalry with FSU, who upset the Hurricanes on Saturday, that after starting in football it has permeated throughout the Miami athletic department and is a great rivalry. He said on Saturday, he thinks his players thought that they had the game wrapped up at halftime, allowing Florida State to rally back in the second half and hit a game-winner. Dan took this as an opportunity to throw one of his own under the proverbial bus, but the tables were quickly turned.
“You were up double digits and Mike Ryan left to go watch a soccer game.” - Dan— Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz (@LeBatardShow) February 27, 2023
“The sportswriter that was trying to dig into your past was Dan LeBatard.” - Mike@CanesCoachL watches us snitch on each other while learning of John Ruiz’s ‘FSwho’ tweet
Larrañaga says there are teams across the country with Final Four aspirations and that Miami is one of them and he believes his team is capable but has to be playing its best basketball. That means consistently good defense and rebounding, while also forcing turnovers.
Dan asks for the Hurricanes coach’s thoughts on Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim’s assertation that Miami had “bought” a team. Larrañaga said he doesn’t really worry about what other coaches say or do, he just concentrates on doing his job the best he can. He says he enjoys being around his players and they help keep him young, while noting that he may not be the youngest coach in the ACC but he’s not the oldest either. He points out that honor happens to go to the aforementioned Boeheim, which the Le Batard crew eats up. Larrañaga continues on saying the college basketball landscape has changed dramatically thanks to things like the transfer portal and NIL. Larrañaga says he and his staff have nothing to do with the NIL and that he just focuses on the coaching.
Meanwhile, it’s off to the penalty box for Witty ...
“They’re th th thuh thed defending champs.” - @ChrisWittyngham— Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz (@LeBatardShow) February 27, 2023
Stugotz’s Weekend Observations
Presented by @MillerLite
Local Hour: Two-Watch Guy
- Mike Ryan apologizes to Jim Larrañaga as he joins the show to discuss the Canes remarkable season, John Ruiz and FSWho, playing for “a share of the marbles” in the ACC, how high the potential of this year’s team is, and more. Then, Witty is doing some “true psychopath shit,” a discussion on Byron Jones’ tweets about player pain in the NFL, Spencer Knight, and a huge game for the Cesta Cyclones.
The Big Suey: Xceptional Weekend
- Sacramento Kings insider Mike Schur is here to share his Stat of the Day and discuss the incredible weekend across college and professional basketball. Mike Ryan tries to defend the XFL against the rest of the Shipping Container’s complaints about the league. Plus, Stugotz is furious with Joe Klecko, and the details of Russell Wilson’s “open door policy.”
Hour 1: Why Won’t You Take My Cash?
- Dan is infuriated that a nearby business won’t take his cash, but the Shipping Container wonders why he’s so concerned about using his credit card. Then, Jake Paul lost to a “sort of boxer,” Drake may or may not have a gambling problem, Stugotz has an announcement, Drive to Survive is back, and Witty predicts the next disgruntled NBA star. Also, why didn’t our George Toma interview get aggregated?
Hour 2: Se Rayo El Disco
- Stugotz has his Weekend Observations including 26 years of blah blah blah, Aaron Rodgers 18 years of darkness, the ‘Lanche, and more. Then, Witty seemingly gets electrocuted, Kawhi Leonard and the Clippers, and would Jeff Bezos rather own the Washington Post or the Washington Commanders? Plus, we measure the PGA mystique vs. LIV Golf as LIV struggles mightily in the ratings.
Postgame Show: The Staredown
- It’s time for the Funniest Thing From The Sports Weekend! And we reveal some details about our latest #LooksLike submission request.
Watch more below!
Check out the Le Batard and Friends YouTube page for more and subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. You can also follow the show on Twitter @LeBatardShow.
Put your knowledge to the test. Sign up for DraftKings and experience the game inside the game.