Week 17 is upon us! If your team went in the tank this season, the end is upon us. It’s a long wait for the 2020 season, but at least you get a break from your team’s miserable football. You can start looking at free agency and the draft and figure out how your team is going to improve.
But first, we get the full slate of Week 17 to finalize the non-playoff teams in the 2020 NFL Draft order. The Cincinnati Bengals secured the No. 1 pick with their loss to Miami last week, but nothing else is locked in. Washington and Detroit secure the second and third picks with losses, but everybody else has to wait and see how the strength of schedule tiebreaker shakes out.
While the top five is not officially settled, odds are decent we don’t see any changes amongst the five teams already there. Where it gets interesting is slots six through 20. There are four teams with five wins, four with six wins, five with seven wins and four more with eight wins.
The final Sunday of the regular season brings all divisional matchups. We don’t get a ton of bad vs. bad, but some of the divisions offer that opportunity. Most notably, the Giants and Washington face the Eagles and Cowboys, respectively. One of Philly or Dallas will win the division and the other will end up in the top 20 picks in the draft. If either were to lose, they could climb into the mid-teens.
The sub-.500 pairings include Falcons-Bucs, Washington-Cowboys, Raiders-Broncos, and Colts-Jaguars. All four will swing plenty of teams in the top 20. Here is what the top of the draft order looks like heading into Week 17. Strength of schedule provided courtesy of Tankathon, and it is followed by their Week 17 opponent.
- Cincinnati Bengals: 1-14, .560 — vs. Browns
- Washington: 3-12, .498 — @ Cowboys
- Detroit Lions: 3-11-1, .506 — vs. Packers
- New York Giants: 4-11, .471 — vs. Eagles
- Miami Dolphins: 4-11, .492 — @ Patriots
- Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-10, .483 — vs. Colts
- Los Angeles Chargers: 5-10, .510 — @ Chiefs
- Carolina Panthers: 5-10, .548 — vs. Saints
- Arizona Cardinals: 5-9-1, .531 — @ Rams
- New York Jets: 6-9, .475 — @ Bills
- Denver Broncos: 6-9, .519 — vs. Raiders
- Cleveland Browns: 6-9, .527 — @ Bengals
- Atlanta Falcons: 6-9, .552 — @ Bucs
- Oakland Raiders: 7-8, .473 — @ Broncos
- Dallas Cowboys: 7-8, .477 — vs. Washington
- Indianapolis Colts: 7-8, .488 — @ Jaguars
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7-8, .500 — vs. Falcons
- Chicago Bears (to Raiders): 7-8, .508 — @ Vikings
- Pittsburgh Steelers (to Dolphins): 8-7, .502 — @ Ravens
- Los Angeles Rams (to Jaguars): 8-7, .538 — vs. Cardinals
- Philadelphia Eagles: 8-7, .456 (leads NFC East) — @ Giants
- Tennessee Titans: 8-7, .496 (leads second AFC WC) — @ Texans