The NFL regular season is coming to a close and with the new year upon us, the playoff race is getting intense. 10 of 14 playoff tickets have been punched, but almost every seed possibility remained up for grabs heading into Week 17.
Division titles can be clinched this week, but we know for certain that the AFC South won’t be determined yet. The Jaguars and Titans face off in Week 18 with the division title on the line regardless of what happened in Week 17. On the other hand, the Bengals could be in position to clinch the AFC North on Monday Night Football if the Ravens lose on Sunday Night Football.
Below are the eight divisional standings, along with some quick thoughts about each division after 17 weeks of football. We’ll update as the rest of the schedule wraps and we move toward Week 18.
- Buffalo Bills, 12-3 — clinched division title
- New England Patriots, 8-8
- Miami Dolphins, 8-8
- New York Jets, 7-9 — eliminated
The Browns opened the week for the division with a road win against the Commanders. The Steelers beat the Ravens on SNF to stay in the playoff hunt, while the Ravens will need the Bengals to lose to the Bills on MNF for a chance to take the division against the Bengals in Week 18.
- Cincinnati Bengals, 11-4 — clinched playoff berth
- Baltimore Ravens, 10-6 — clinched playoff berth
- Pittsburgh Steelers, 8-8
- Cleveland Browns, 7-9 — eliminated
The Titans opened the week losing to the Cowboys on Thursday Night Football. The Colts lost to the Giants in ugly fashion. The Jaguars beat the Texans in decisive fashion.
- Jacksonville Jaguars, 8-8
- Tennessee Titans, 7-9
- Indianapolis Colts, 4-11-1 — eliminated
- Houston Texans, 2-13-1 — eliminated
The Chiefs beat the Broncos to keep the heat on the Bills for the No. 1 seed. The Chargers won to clinch no worse than the No. 6 seed in the AFC. The Raiders lost to the 49ers and are eliminated from playoff contention.
- Kansas City Chiefs, 13-3 — clinched division title
- Los Angeles Chargers, 10-6 — clinched playoff berth
- Las Vegas Raiders, 6-10 — eliminated
- Denver Broncos, 4-12 — eliminated
The Cowboys opened the week with a win over the Titans on Thursday Night Football. The Eagles lost to the Saints, leaving the division still up for grabs. The Giants clinched a playoff berth with a big win over the Colts.
- Philadelphia Eagles, 13-3 — clinched playoff berth
- Dallas Cowboys, 12-4 — clinched playoff berth
- New York Giants, 9-6-1 — clinched playoff berth
- Washington Commanders, 7-8-1
- Minnesota Vikings, 12-3 — clinched division title
- Detroit Lions, 7-8
- Green Bay Packers, 7-8
- Chicago Bears, 3-12 — eliminated
The Saints went into Philadelphia and stunned the Eagles to keep their playoff hopes alive. The Bucs clinched the division title with a win over the Panthers.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 8-8 — clinched division title
- New Orleans Saints, 7-9
- Carolina Panthers, 6-10 — eliminated
- Atlanta Falcons, 5-10 — eliminated
The Cardinals lost to the Falcons. The Rams lost to the Chargers. The Seahawks beat the Jets. The 49ers beat the Raiders in overtime.