Pat Mayo and Geoff Fienberg preview the course and run through the odds while making their 2020 Northern Trust Picks. The guys give their fantasy golf picks, provide their one and done strategy for the event from TPC Boston.
Northern Trust — Wed Update | Pod | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
2020 Northern Trust — Picks + Preview | Picks/Field/Course | Picks Video | Stats/Tools
2020 Northern Trust DraftKings — Research | Picks & Preview | DK Cheatsheet | Video | Own% Projections
2020 Football: Top 200 List | 8/12 Update | Debate | Draft Recap | RB | WR
DraftKings Golf Strategy — How/Where to Research | DK Showdown/In Play Wagering | Building Lineups
Subscribe To the PME — Apple | Spotify | Stitcher | Insta | Twitter | E-Mail | YouTube
2020 Northern Trust: Field
Field: 125 Players | Top 65 and Ties Make the Cut after 36 Holes
First Tee: Thursday, Aug. 20, at 7:30 a.m. ET
Defending Champion (At this course): Bryson DeChambeau
Editor’s Note: Brooks Koepka has withdrawn from this week’s tournament.
- All of the Top 125 players in the FedEx Cup standings will be in the field this week. This is the final event in the 2020 PGA Season with a cut. The tee times for the first two rounds will be determined by FedEx Cup points.
- The Top 65 and ties will play the weekend after 36 Holes.
- The Top 70 in the FedEx Cup standings after this week will advance to the BMW Championship in seven days.
- The field strength for PGA playoff events is equivalent, or stronger than those at majors. A scan of the past half-decade will almost always reveal a name brand, high-quality player.
Curious about when major leagues and events will return? Check out our DraftKings Sports Calendar for the latest updates.
2020 Northern Trust: Key Stats
Strokes Gained: Approach
Proximity Gained 175+ Yards
Par 5s Gained
Strokes Gained: Off The Tee
Strokes Gained: Putting
Mayo’s Key Stats powered by FantasyNational.com
2020 Northern Trust: Course
Course: TPC Boston
2020 Northern Trust: Past Winners
From TPC Boston
2018: Bryson DeChambeau -16
2017: Justin Thomas -17
2016: Rory McIlroy -15
2015: Rickie Fowler -15
2014: Chris Kirk -15
2013: Henrik Stenson -22
2012: Rory McIlroy -20
2011: Webb Simpson -15
2010: Charley Hoffman -22
Play in the RAKE FREE Pat Mayo Experience DraftKings Open. Get the link in the podcast.
2020 Northern Trust: Strategy
- After getting dropped from the schedule last year when the playoffs switched from four to three events, TPC Boston is now in the Northern Trust course rotation.
- Before playing under the Northern Trust event name, if you’re searching for course history, TPC Boston the course used for the Dell Technologies Championship, known as the Deutsche Bank Championship previous to that. It had held an event (historically over Labor Day weekend) from 2003-2018.
- SG: Approach and SG: Putting have had over double the influence on the Top-5 finishers than SG: Off The Tee, and over four times SG: Around The Green.
- Almost half of approach shots come from beyond 175 yards.
- Fairways at TPC Boston are slightly easier to hit than TOUR average (65% to 62%)
- In the past five tournaments at TPC Boston, Rickie Fowler, Rory McIlroy, Paul Casey, Gary Woodland and Patrick Reed have the most Strokes Gained: Total.
- Tiger Woods, Webb Simpson, Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson have won this event and THE PLAYERS Championship in their careers.
- Dustin Johnson is the only player with Top 20 finishes in each of his past three starts at TPC Boston.
- For DraftKings Showdown purposes, using players starting on Hole 10 versus Hole 1 will lead to an easier path to a birdie streak. Holes 17/18/1/2 are four of the easiest six on the course.
2020 Northern Trust Picks — Early Targets
Always a better putter on Bentgrass, this course shouldn’t fit Reed in the slightest but he has experienced a ton of success at TPC Boston even if he has failed to win. Reed’s posted a Top-10 finish in three of his past four starts on this track and comes in with consecutive Top-15 finishes over the past two weeks (T13/T9). Although putting is tough to bank on, Reed has gained over three strokes on these greens in each of his past four appearances.
For someone known as a spectacular putter, the Brit has been lost on the greens the past two weeks. After a run of events where he failed to finish worse than T6, including a win at Bay Hill, Hatton actually showcased his best ball striking in ages at the PGA Championship. He just happened to miss the cut. Keep up the quality driving and irons, flip the putting, and Hatton will contend again.
Other notable names appearing near the top of stat models and the win simulator at FantasyNational.com: Jon Rahm, Webb Simpson, Jason Day, Viktor Hovand
Put your knowledge to the test. Sign up for DraftKings and experience the game inside the game.
Pat Mayo is an award-winning video host and producer of long and short-form content, and the host of The Pat Mayo Experience daily talk show. (Subscribe for video or audio). Mayo (@ThePME) won the 2020 Fantasy Sports Writing Association Daily Fantasy Writer of the Year and Golf Writer of the Year awards, along with the Fantasy Sports Trade Association Best Sports Betting Analyst award, and was a finalist for four FSWA Awards in 2020 (Best Podcast, Best Video, Daily Fantasy Writer of the Year, Golf Writer of the Year). His 21 FSWA nominations lead all writers this decade and are third-most all-time. Mayo has been recognized across multiple sports (Football, Baseball & Golf), mediums (Video, Writing & Podcasting), genre (Humor), and game formats (Daily Fantasy and Traditions Season Long). Beyond sports, Mayo covers everything from entertainment to pop culture to politics. If you have a fantasy question, general inquiry or snarky comment, ship it to Mayo at ThePatMayoExperience@gmail.com and the best will be addressed on the show.
I am a promoter at DraftKings and am also an avid fan and user (my username is ThePME) and may sometimes play on my personal account in the games that I offer advice on. Although I have expressed my personal view on the games and strategies above, they do not necessarily reflect the view(s) of DraftKings and I may also deploy different players and strategies than what I recommend above. I am not an employee of DraftKings and do not have access to any non-public information.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (NH/CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+ (18+ NH). NJ/PA/WV/IN/NH/IA/CO/IL only. Eligibility restrictions apply. See draftkings.com/sportsbook for full terms and conditions.